Most of us know having a daily skincare routine is an essential part of maintaining your skin’s health and appearance. Yet if you’re like most people, you have probably focused your attention almost entirely on your skin from the neck up, potentially ignoring the fact that your hands can reveal your age just as much as your face. Take a quick peek in your bathroom drawer or medicine cabinet and see for yourself how many of your moisturizers, toners, and other skin treatments are designed exclusively for your face; you may just be surprised. There’s no need to fret: even if you have neglected your hands for years, there is hope. Turning back the clock for your hands involves more than just using the right combination of skincare products, however. You will need to develop some basic good habits and an effective routine that is easy to follow that supports your hands and helps you to get younger-looking skin. Think of this as not just supportive skincare but also your own personal self-care ritual that can help you feel like you’re making a positive daily impact.
Here’s how you can cleanse and correct dry and wrinkly hand skin through a daily hydration and protection regimen. Follow these guidelines for at least ten days and you’ll be on your way to having the best-looking hands of your life.
Here are a few hand care essentials that may influence what you do each day to maintain optimal skin health for your hands.
1) Keep your hands clean: This one should be a no-brainer. By keeping your hands as clean as possible, you will be protecting them from dirt, bacteria, and harsh substances that can roughen your hands or introduce skin and nail infections.
2) Use Coconut Oil for Strong Nails: Few things make hands look old and tired more than dry or brittle nails. You can make your nails stronger and improve their appearance by rubbing coconut oil on them. Use a cotton ball to work the oil in and buff it up, producing a gorgeous shine. If you get it on your fingers, just leave it in place. Coconut oil is just as nourishing for your skin as it is for your nails!
3) Use Olive Oil and Sugar to Exfoliate Gently: This DIY hand scrub is just as good as many products you’ll find in the beauty aisle. All you need to do is mix three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and two tablespoons of sugar to make a paste. Gently massage this into your hands to rub off dead skin particles and brighten your skin naturally.
4) Wash with Rose Water: Another age-reversing home remedy you can try for your hands is to wash using rose water. Rose water is full of antioxidants that help to boost your skin’s resiliency while the emollients found in rose petals help your skin to retain its natural moisture. For best results, try mixing rose water with some glycerin. Apply using a cotton ball before bed and you’ll wake up with noticeably smoother-feeling hands.
5) Invest in Quality Skin-Lightening Creams for Age Spots: Age spots (also known as hyperpigmentation) are a dreaded consequence of sun exposure and aging, but they can be corrected with the right products. Choose a high-quality cream and apply it directly to your age spots daily or according to the product’s instructions.
6) Slather on the Sunscreen: It’s no secret that the sun is your skin’s worst enemy. Even if you don’t have age spots or other dark patches yet, you can prevent their appearance by making sure you use sunscreen every day–even when the weather is overcast (skin-damaging UV rays from the sun can penetrate through layers of clouds). Be sure to apply a high SPF and broad-spectrum sunscreen liberally to your hands and other exposed areas of skin and you’ll help to prevent discoloration from taking place and reduce your chances of getting skin cancer. That’s a win for your health and your skin.
7) Use a Hydrating Serum: Another skincare product you need in your younger skin arsenal is a hydrating serum designed to plump up the skin in your hands. For best results, choose one that includes hyaluronic acid and B or E vitamins. By applying a serum each morning to your hands, you’ll boost your skin’s ability to repair damaged tissue.
8) Moisturize Before Bed: According to dermatologists, the best time to apply moisturizing lotions or creams to your hands is right before bed. This will lock in the moisture overnight and allow you to wake up with fuller and fresher-looking skin. The right lotion can help boost your skin’s collagen production.
9) Get Plenty of Rest: Speaking of bedtime, having healthy and younger-looking skin depends on you getting enough sleep. Doctors recommend getting at least eight hours per night. Doing this won’t just help you feel younger and more energetic—your skin will look years younger as well!
These are only a few of the many things that can help to reverse the appearance of aging in hands and maintain your skin’s appearance long-term. Even if you can only follow a few of these tips, the little extra TLC you give your hands during the day should still provide dramatic results. Unlike weight loss regimens that require weeks or even months to reveal their full benefits, a simple yet intensive beauty routine can yield some serious results in just a matter of days. Once you’ve restored a more youthful appearance for your hands, you’ll be able to go about your day feeling confident with more radiant-looking nails and fingers, too. Your hands will also be more resilient and better able to withstand the stresses of daily chores, work, and whatever else you put them through. Of course, wearing protective gloves when you are out in the garden or using any harsh cleansers is still a good idea—but when it comes to everyday tasks, your hands should hold up better than ever before with the right skincare routine in place. Stop letting your hands give away your age! These easy additions to your daily routine can help prevent or reverse the effects of aging and help you feel better about the way you look.